How to apply for Non-immigrant Visa O-Marriage within Thailand
Home » BLOG » Life in Chiang Mai » How to apply for Non-immigrant Visa O-Marriage within Thailand

How to apply for Non-immigrant Visa O-Marriage within Thailand

category:  Life in Chiang Mai

This post is continue from “Forget to apply for Re-entry permit”. It was my experience that I shared. If you need more information, you MUST contact the immigration officer.

Since my husband already had the NON-O visa which allows him to stay in Thailand for 90 days. He decided to apply for the Non-immigrant Visa O-Marriage. In order to change the visa, he needed to apply within 45 days before this NON-O visa expire.

What documents did we need?

We need to provide two sets of these documents.

  • The Acknowledgement of Penalties for a Visa Overstay You can get this document at the document checked point – (2 sets)
  • Copy of the first page of your passport the page that has your photo – (2 copies)
  • Copy of your NON-O visa – (2 copies)
  • You must have 400,000 baht in your Thai bank at least for applying for the Thai marriage visa.
    • Application for Financial Certificate from your Thai bank (หนังสือรับรองยอดเงินฝากธนาคาร). You can ask for this certificate from the banks in Robinson Chiang Mai since the bank officers in this store will know what exactly certificate you need for Thai immigration and the store is near the immigration office. We use the Bangkok bank and the fee is 100 baht per 1 certificate. – (2 sets)
    • Deposit some money to your Thai book bank ON THE DAY YOU ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR THE NON-O VISA then update your Thai book bank. This way, the Thai book bank will show the same date as your visa application. The Application for Financial Certificate date can be the day before your visa application date. For example, my husband got the Application for Financial Certificate on 11 May. Then he put 50 baht to his bank and update the book bank on 12 May which is the same day we went to apply for a NON-O visa. This step is very important and the officer specifically warns me to make sure I don’t miss this step.
    • Copy of your Thai book bank on every page after depositing some money on the day you are going to apply for the visa – only the latest Thai bank book – (2 copies)
    • Statement from the bank – The officers need to check all transactions from your account. A copy of all book bank pages is not enough. – 1 original and 1 copy
  • The photos of your front house with including your house number, your bedroom with closet opening, your living room, your kitchen, and the back of your house. Every photo must have you and your Thai partner in them and no selfie. You must let someone else take all photos. Then print all photos in color on the A4 paper. Two photos per page. If you print the photos in color, they must be clear pictures. You can also develop the photos and glue them on the A4 paper. The photos will prove your relationship with your Thai partner. – (2 sets)
  • Marriage certificate – in my case, we have had a Thai marriage certificate (Khor.Ror. 3 – คร.3) since we registered our marriage in Thailand. For other abroad marriage certificates, please ask the immigration officers. – (2 copies)
  • Registration of Marriage (Khor.Ror. 2 – คร.2) – You can get the Khor.Ror.2 at the district office of your city which is the same place where you can register a Thai marriage in your city. – (It requires each original and a copy of one). You MUST get three Khor.Ror.2 original documents. This Khor.Ror.2 original document will be used in the next steps after your visa application is approved. I paid 40 baht for three Khor.Ror.2 original documents at the Chiang Mai district office.
  • Your Thai partner ID card – (2 copies)
  • Your Thai house register – (2 copies)
  • Draw your house map in detail on A4 paper – (2 copies and need to print in color)
  • Fee 1,900 baht (cash only)
  • Some blue pens
  • Sign on your document copy with the blue pen. Your wife or husband will sign on her/his document copy.
  • Strongly recommend going in the morning in order to get a queue.


  • Apply for Non-immigrant Visa O-Marriage 45 days before your NON-O visa expire.
  • Within 2 weeks, the immigration officer will call and make an appointment to visit your house for checking. In my case, we applied on 18 July and the police called me on 24 July in order to make the appointment on 25 July. For a visit, we needed to prepare one witness with their Thai ID card. The witness will prove our relationship and living together in the house. The officer asked some questions from us and the withness. The visit took around 15 minutes. In the end, the witness needed to sign the interview paper as well as the Thai id copy. The police took a photo of all of us. Finally, the police will tell you what date you will need to go back to the immigration office in order to get the new visa. You will need to bring your passport with you. NO MORE FEE on visiting day.
  • On the result day, you will go to counter 3 without getting a queue and preparing any documents. You just need a passport so the officer will put the new visa in your passport.
  • Next year, you will do the same in order to renew your marriage visa.


  • You will need to report every 90 days. You can do it online or drive through at Chiang Mai immigration.
  • If you hold a retirement or marriage visa and want to leave Thailand and then come back, you MUST apply for Re-Entry Permit. Otherwise, when you come back, your visa will be canceled. Then you need to start over from visa-exempt entry (ผ.30).
  • For Re-Entry Permit, you can either apply for a single entry (1000 baht) or multiple entry (3800 baht). Here are the documents you need for applying for the Re-Entry Permit.
  • You can apply for the Re-Entry Permit at the departure at the airport. You will need at least half and hour for the whole process. If there is a long queue, it will take more than half an hour. Of cause, you need the complete documents as well.