Four months ago, I wrote a blog about how to move WordPress to a new host without any plugin. This method is useful if your site is big and complex and you don’t offer the RSS feeds. But if your site is small then you can use the Duplicator plugin. It provides both Free and Paid version. Plus using this plugin for moving the site, you get zero downtime.
How to use? It is really simple. Just follow the step below.
On your current site:
- Login at your WordPress backend
- Install the new plugin by navigating to “Plugins” menu then “Add New”
- At the search box, type “duplicator” then click “Install” and “Active” the plugin
- Now navigate to “Duplicator” menu where is located under the “Settings” menu or near
- Under the “Duplicator” menu, click on the “Packages” menu and click on “Create New” button in order to create a new clone package
- Follow the instructions on the screen
- Once it is done, you can download both “installer.php” and a zip file which is your database and all WordPress files)
On your new site:
- Prepare your database login and database name at your new site before continue
- At your host root( htdoc or public_html folder), it should be empty. Sometimes you will see the cgi folder which is normal. Don’t delete it. If you do, contact your host provider to fix it for you.
- Copy the “installer.php” and the zip file that you just download from the duplicator plugin from your current site and paste into the host root on your new site.
- Then visit your new site and call the installer.php as the example below
- Then follow the instructions on the screen
- Please read the instructions carefully at this point
- After the process is done, you will click on “Admin login” button following the instruction
- That’s it. Your new site is successful moving to a new site without any downtime